Our Arts Academy Program offers students the opportunity to foster their passion for the visual and performing arts and pursue excellence in their chosen area of specialisation.
In 2013, Mount Erin College welcomed the Arts Academy to its enhancement studies. The program is aimed at students with a strong aptitude for, and commitment to, the arts. Prospective students will be carefully selected for the program, which will cover theoretical and practical components of both the visual and performing arts.
It will challenge students through mentorship and master classes with professional artists, provide access to a wide range of arts focused events, and support and provide balance with academic studies. Mount Erin College Arts Academy will provide talented arts students with a range of meaningful pathways through their school years and beyond.
To provide an innovative program that is challenging and rewarding and ensures students are inspired to reach their potential in the diverse range of learning experiences offered in Visual and Performing Arts and are nurtured to develop character, self-confidence and self-esteem, as well as, academic excellence.
The Mount Erin Arts Academy exists to provide opportunities for enhancement and focused studies that enable students to foster their passion for Visual and Performing Arts and pursue excellence in their chosen area of specialisation. It is for Mount Erin College students that demonstrate a strong aptitude for, and commitment to, the Arts. It aims to support talented arts students with a range of meaningful pathways through their school years and beyond. It also aims to ensure that we maintain our unique program structure that facilitates the development of student’s ability to create their own pieces for performance and exhibition.
The Arts Academy will provide opportunities for students to study Visual Arts, Performing Arts and Music. The Arts Academy is committed to academic achievement, artistic performance, specific tailored pastoral focus, developing community networks, and outstanding resources and facilities. The enriching program will challenge students through mentorship and master classes with professional artists, provide access to a wide range of arts focused events, and support and provide balance with academic studies. Students are given an active voice in all creative projects rather than being heavily directed by staff. Students in the Arts Academy will experience a variety of professional performances, workshops and coaching and will be asked to participate in the Arts Extravaganza, plus other extra-curricular opportunitees as they come up.
VIRTUAL SHOWCASE 2021
As we have been unable to welcome family and friends into the college during 2021 to showcase our work, the Year 7, 8 and 9 Arts Academy groups have been working extremely hard to produce our ‘Virtual Showcase’ webpage! This site was created following 2020’s COVID pandemic and shows our students Adaptability, in facing remote learning and overcoming these challenges to succeed.
Please check out our Virtual Showcase to get a real first-hand look into our Arts Academy.
- Mount Erin College Student Application and Evaluation form (including a current photograph).
- Two written references highlighting the applicant’s suitability for the program (potential referees include classroom teacher, school principal, teacher of a specialist subject or external coach). PLEASE NOTE – One of these references is required to be completed electronically via the school website from the applicant’s current Grade 6 teacher.
- A copy of the applicant’s most recent school report.
- A copy of the applicant’s Grade 5 NAPLAN results.
- All applicants will be contacted for an interview at the college at a designated time. When attending the interview, students are encouraged to bring examples of their visual art work and/or footage of any performances they have been involved with.
Places in the Arts Academy are strictly limited and highly sought after. In order to be able to offer students access to workshops, performances and excursions, this program incurs an additional set of fees. In the event that the applicant is successful, a formal letter of offer will be sent. It is crucial that offers of acceptance are accepted as soon as possible.
Students will be offered a place in the Arts Academy, based on:
- Evidence of high artistic (visual and/or performing) ability,
- Demonstrate the capacity to perform at a high academic level to achieve their personal best,
- A mature, engaged and highly motivated attitude towards achieving success,
- A willingness to participate in college leadership—as a contributor and role-model for other students,
- A willingness to participate in college events, such as school productions, Arts Extravaganza evenings and exhibitions and be an ambassador for the Arts Academy,
- A clear and focused commitment to the Arts Academy— accepting the expectations of exemplary behaviour, attendance, consistently high artistic and personal achievement and solid academic results.
The selection process to identify students suited to our Arts Academy Program includes:
- An interview with the student, who presents a portfolio of schooling and artistic achievements, demonstrating their level of maturity, commitment and willingness to fully participate in the Arts Academy.
- In conjunction with the outcome of the interview, the quality of work presented and performance in audition/workshop, when making the final decision to offer a place in the Arts Academy, we will take into consideration these aspects:
- The information provided by the student’s two references regarding the student’s artistic and academic standards,
- The information provided by the student explaining their potential, abilities and ambitions.