ENRICHMENT PROGRAMS 2023
We are delighted to invite students to apply to be part of our Sports Enrichment Programs. The College recognises a need to support students that have a passion for playing or leading in sport and are currently performing at their personal best on and off the field.
We aim to run AFL, Basketball and Fitness programs in 2023.
The Sports Enrichment Programs aim to maximise individual student’s sporting potential. The teachers and facilitators involved in the program recognise the need for students to balance their sport and training commitments with their academic studies.
Our Sports Enrichment Program facilitates student achievement through promoting health, fitness and sport. The Sports Enrichment Program aims to develop future leaders and positive role models in their chosen field.
Grade 6 Sport Challenge day – To be confirmed with individual primary schools
Grade 5 Sport Challenge Day – To be confirmed with individual primary schools
*Please contact the school office for further information.
Applications open in term 4 for Sports Academy Enrichment Programs.
Candidates are welcome to apply/reapply for positions available in these programs
Important 2022 dates:
- Accepting applications in term 4
- Per department guidelines once students are enrolled at Mount Erin College they can apply for a program.
- Submission date for applications: Term 4/ To be confirmed.
- Apply online or hand in hard copy to the front office. References & additional information can be provided later at interview.
- Program groups finalised in Term 4
Fitness training & testing
This is a fee for service enrichment program, in addition to the students regular Physical Education classes each week
Aimed at students who are not just ‘great at sport’ but have attributes that align with Mount Erin Colleges values, both in and out of the classroom.
THE PROGRAM OFFERS STUDENTS THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Attend weekly sports coaching sessions
- Improve physical performance and prepare physically in our strength and conditioning facility.
- Increase their knowledge and understanding of what it takes to become a top athlete and leader.
- Showcase their potential at inter school sporting competitions and carnivals.
- Compare personal fitness levels with the expected ‘norms’ for high level sport teams.
- Participate in ‘Activity Challenge Days’ that encourage teamwork, build self confidence and improve leadership skills.
In addition to regular Health and Physical education curriculum lessons every week students in the program will come out of their curriculum class for a coaching session in their chosen sport.
Students are expected to maintain the classwork from the subject they leave for this session.
During the Semester strength & conditioning sessions with specific fitness training focused on increasing different components such as strength and speed for their chosen sport will also be offered.
This is a fee for service program has a cost attached to it.
The Sports Enrichment programs aim to give the participating students the tools to be better leaders and performers in sport and in the community.
During the year they will be involved in an ‘Activity Challenge Day’. Previous challenge days have been: MCG Tour & National Sports Museum Visit, Victorian Institute of Sport, Peninsula obstacle course, Beach Team Challenge, Dandenong 1000 Steps Challenge.
Students will also perform a ‘Fitness testing Day’ These sessions will run in addition to curriculum lessons, students are expected to keep up with their classwork.
ONLINE APPLICATION OPTIONS
Students must be enrolled at Mount Erin College to apply. In 2023 programs offered will be AFL, Basketball and Fitness. We consider all ‘other sports experience’ but preference may be given to students playing our core sports. We encourage all to apply.
Our selection process is based on the following key criteria:
Students must maintain this criteria if they wish to remain in the program.
Candidates are welcome to apply for places in current groups and will be added to a reserve list.
1. Sporting Ability & Sports Leadership
- Applicants must have a passion for sport and be performing at their personal best in their chosen sport
- Have the potential to play at a higher level and be sports leader
- Exhibits commitment to personal development
2. Academic Achievement
- Consistently achieving satisfactory results in all subject areas.
- Applicants must exhibit good effort and application across all subject areas.
3. Interpersonal Development
- Attitude to learning must be positive across all subjects.
- Good behaviour both in and out of the classroom.
- Meet Mount Erin College’s values
SELECTION PROCESS & HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must complete the initial application form and submit it to the MEC Administration office or online. A reminder that you must be enrolled at the College to apply.
- State your program preference AFL, Basketball or Fitness
- Enrichment Program Application
- Cover Photo
- Outline why you would like to be in a AFL/Basketball/Fitness program
- Past sporting achievements
- Last school report
- Any other awards and achievements
- Online evaluation form completed by current PE Teacher/Class teacher
- Any other coach reference
- After your application has been received, you will be contacted in due course by the College.
- Students not successful will be placed on a group reserve list. This group list will be reviewed when spaces are available and the suitable candidates contacted.